These cupcakes are from the cookbook "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World." But don't shy away thinking that they aren't going to be the most deliciously maple cupcakes ever -- they are! Though the recipe calls for sugared walnuts, I never have the time and toasted walnuts are just fine. The cupcakes pair perfectly with Creamy Maple Frosting. I've made these with whole wheat pastry flour and they turn out great either way.
- 1⁄2 cup soymilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄3 cups flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons maple extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup toasted walnuts (sugared walnuts would be awesome)
- Whisk togeter the soymilk and vinegar in a bowl and set aside to curdle for a few minutes.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and nutmeg into a separate bowl and mix.
- Whisk the maple syrup, oil, brown sugar, maple extract and vanilla into the soymilk mixture.
- Form a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir until large lumps disappear.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Fill 12 cupcake liners two-thirds full.
- Bake at 350 degress for 20-22 minutes.
- Cool completely before frosting.
I am spoiled and have amazing maple syrup to use from a friend who makes it here in Quebec. I have been looking for a good maple muffin for awhile now. This one is excellent. I used buttermilk instead of the milk and vinegar combo. Made my house smell amazing!
Very good but we use regular full fat milk (which works fine). Because we do not care for Maple syrup honey works equally well. Thought someone might like to try this version.
these were delicious with a great maple taste. i think they were perfect with the added walnuts. i used regular skim milk and they turned out fine.