1/3 Photos of Mankomo's Farmhouse Bread
Chef Africa's Note:
This bread is what we in South Africa would term plaasbrood - farm bread. You know the one, those loaves made by generations of farmer's wives where no written recipe really exists. No bread machine needed for this, kneading takes all of 10 minutes with two rising periods. Delicious. The recipe appears in Quiet Life, a Buddhist recipe book.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat oven to 200C / 392°F.
- 2Mix all the dry ingredients and then add the butter if using.
- 3Gradually mix in the water and knead until you have an elastic dough which comes away from the sides of the bowl. If kneading by hand, do so for 10 minutes, 3 minutes with a food mixer.
- 4Allow to rise in a warm place, covering the bowl with clingwrap until the dough has doubled in size.
- 5Knead again lightly and place in a bread tin (at this point you can divide the dough if it is too much for one tin).
- 6Leave to rise again until doubled.
- 7Bake at 200C/392F for 15 minutes, then turn the oven down to 180C/356F and bake for a further 45 minutes or so, or until the loaves sound hollow when tipped out and knocked with your knuckles.
- 8You can use a variety of different flours in this recipe, as long as you end up with 1kg of flour in total.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mankomo's Farmhouse Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1858 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3664.5
- Calories from Fat 93
- Total Fat 10.3 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9534.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 766.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 28.9 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 106.2 g