Here is the recipe for our orange (or lime) & coconut sponge cake. It is a moist, light, orange / lime flavoured sponge with just a hint of coconut. It keeps well in an airtight container for a week & can be frozen before icing (it freezes very well). This recipe is simple to make & not time consuming at all.
- 8 ounces self raising flour
- 8 ounces margarine or 8 ounces butter
- 6 ounces sugar
- 2 ounces desiccated coconut (unsweetened)
- 3 medium eggs
- 3 oranges, zest of (or limes)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- approx. 200ml water
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar
- orange juice (or lime juice)
- 1 teaspoon margarine (or butter)
- orange & lemon candy (jelly slices)
- silver dragees
- Cream the margarine and the sugar until light and fluffy. Whisk the eggs into the sugar/margarine mixture.
- Slowly add the flour (sieved), baking powder, orange zest and coconut. Stir in a figure of 8 fashion.
- Gradually add enough water to loosen the cake mix up a bit. It should be the consistency of a slightly thin custard.
- Pour into a non stick cake tin, preferably with loose bottom. I use an 8'' round tin for this cake.
- Bake on a middle/top shelf in the oven at 180 c for around 45 mins or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Remove from tin and cool on wire rack. Once cooled, top with the icing or dust with icing sugar.
- To make the icing, beat the margarine with the sugar & enough of the juice to form a spreadable icing. Cover the top of the cake & decorate with the jelly slices & dragees / silver balls.