Prep1 hr 20 mins
These muffins are sweet and chocolatey; you'd never guess they're low fat. Soaking time for oats allowed for in times given.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not instant)
- 1 cup nonfat milk
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup splenda brown sugar
- 2⁄3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 -6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped chocolate (I prefer bittersweet)
- Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then spray the muffin pan with cooking spray.
- Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry mix until just combined.
- Add the chopped chocolate.
- Do not over-mix of the muffins will be tough.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin pan making 12 muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from pan and enjoy.