4 hrs 35 mins
You would never guess that this is low-fat! My whole family loves this dessert, and I enjoy making it for them bacause I know that not only does it taste good, it won't wreck your diet either! It seems like a lot of work, but it's really not too bad because you make the filling and glaze while the cake is baking, and then all you have left is the assembly. Oh, it is SOOO worth the effort!!(prep time includes refigeration)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup extra-light vegetable oil spread (such as Promise)
- 2/3 cup skim milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Lightly grease or spray 8 or 9-inch cake pan.
- 3Mix flour, baking powder, and salt in small bowl.
- 4In medium bowl, beat egg whites at medium speed until frothy.
- 5Gradually add 1/4 cup of the sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- 6In large bowl with same beaters, beat remaining 1/4 cup sugar and veg oil spread until light and fluffy.
- 7With mixer on low speed, alternately beat in flour mixture and milk until blended.
- 8Stir in vanilla and 1/3 of the egg white mixture.
- 9Fold in remaining egg whites until no white streaks remain.
- 10Pour into pan and bake 35 min.
- 11,or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- 12Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes.
- 13Turn out on rack to cool completely.
- 14While cake is baking make filling and glaze.
- 15Filling: Prepare pudding according to package directions, using the 1 1/2 cup milk.
- 16Refrigerate 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- 17Glaze: Mix sugar, cocoa, and cornstarch in small saucepan.
- 18Stir in milk and bring to boil over medium heat.
- 19Cook 1 minutes, stirring constantly, or until slightly thickened.
- 20Refrigerate 20 minutes to cool.
- 21To Assemble Cake: With serrated knife, cut cake in half horizontally.
- 22Place bottom layer, cut side up, on serving platter.
- 23Spread filling over top and top with remaining layer of cake, cut side down.
- 24Spread glaze over top, letting some of the glaze drip down sides.
- 25Chill 3 hours or until glaze sets.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Low-Fat Boston Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (143 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 235.8
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 1.5 mg
- Sodium 385.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 50.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 29.0 g
- Protein 6.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
extra-light vegetable oil spread