I found this recipe in a newspaper. It makes very soft, lime flavored cookies. You might want to taste the lime juice you're using - I think the strength can vary, because, once when I made it, I couldn't taste the lime at all! The other times it has come through just fine. You can also substitute lemon juice. Note: I just made these cookies again and ended up with wonderfully soft, fluffy sugar cookies (read: no lime flavor at all). I'm hereby considering this recipe under construction, and may edit it to reflect some tinkering (with extracts or concentrates).
- combine sugar and butter in a large bowl. stir until smooth and creamy.
- add eggs, corn syrup, vanilla and lime juice to mixture in bowl. mix well.
- combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. mix well.
- add flour mixture to creamy mixture. mix well.
- roll dough into 1 inch balls. place several inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 5 - 7 minutes. (do not overbake!).
- when cool, remove cookies from baking sheet. dust generously with powdered sugar.
These were very good! I didn't have a problem rolling them into balls like some of the other reviewers did. Probably because when I saw that the dough was a little sticky I went ahead and added a few more spoonfuls of flour to it. That made it a perfect consistency to roll into balls. Baked for 7-8 minutes and they came out nicely raised and very soft. Nice looking and tasting cookies all around! May add a little more lime next time as my husband said he could barely taste the lime.
These were awesome! I added the zest of 2 limes because any time I work with a citrus fruit I feel wasteful if I don't also use the zest, lol! The powdered sugar on top really made them kind of melt in your mouth!
I really liked these! To boost the lime flavor, I added two packets of True Lime to the cookie dough. I didn't bother trying to roll them, so I didn't have any issue with the softness of the dough (I was on a baking frenzy today, so I just scooped them with a cookie scoop because it's faster for me). I also mixed a packet of True Lime into the powdered sugar for the topping, so they kind of reminded me of those Sunshine Lemon Cooler cookies (but lime, of course) -- sweet with a bit of tang to them. I really liked how soft they stayed after cooling, too. Thanks for posting! :) Made for PAC Spring 08