5 hrs 15 mins
If you are looking for an everyday common key lime pie then this is not for you, the addition of beaten egg whites added to the filling is what makes this pie stand out from any other recipe! if you want a less fluffier pie then just use two egg whites instead of three. Prep time includes freezer time. This pie may also be served frozen just thaw slightly before slicing
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup key lime juice (measure 1/2-cup exactly)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 drops green food coloring (can use more)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1Set oven to 325°F.
- 2For the crust; in a bowl mix together graham cracker crumbs with sugar and cinnamon; add in melted butter and mix to combine completely.
- 3Press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- 4Bake crust for 5 minutes; remove and cool completely.
- 5Separate 3 eggs, then place the whites into a mixing bowl.
- 6Reserve the yolks in another bowl; to the yolks add in 1 whole egg, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk; mix until smooth and completely combined, then mix in food colouring until combined.
- 7Using an electric mixer beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry; fold the beaten whites in the lime mixture.
- 8Pour the filling into the partially baked pie crust.
- 9Bake at 325°F for 10-15 minutes or until just set.
- 10Let cool at room temperature then place in freezer for a minimum of 5 hours (or overnight).
- 11Just before serving whip cream with confectioners' sugar (to taste).
- 12Serve the pie decorated sweetened whipped cream and lime slices.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Light-As-A-Cloud Key Lime Pie Extraordinaire
Serving Size: 1 (160 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 631.4
- Calories from Fat 371
- Total Fat 41.3 g
- Saturated Fat 24.4 g
- Cholesterol 235.2 mg
- Sodium 320.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 47.4 g
- Protein 10.8 g