Prep 5 hrs
Cook 15 mins
If you are looking for an everyday common key lime pie then this is not for you, the addition of beaten egg whites added to the filling is what makes this pie stand out from any other recipe! if you want a less fluffier pie then just use two egg whites instead of three. Prep time includes freezer time. This pie may also be served frozen just thaw slightly before slicing
- 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup key lime juice (measure 1/2-cup exactly)
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 drops green food coloring (can use more)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch cream of tartar
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream, unwhipped (or use Cool Whip frozen topping, thawed)
- confectioners' sugar (to taste)
- 1 lime, thinly sliced
- Set oven to 325°F.
- For the crust; in a bowl mix together graham cracker crumbs with sugar and cinnamon; add in melted butter and mix to combine completely.
- Press into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake crust for 5 minutes; remove and cool completely.
- Separate 3 eggs, then place the whites into a mixing bowl.
- Reserve the yolks in another bowl; to the yolks add in 1 whole egg, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk; mix until smooth and completely combined, then mix in food colouring until combined.
- Using an electric mixer beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry; fold the beaten whites in the lime mixture.
- Pour the filling into the partially baked pie crust.
- Bake at 325°F for 10-15 minutes or until just set.
- Let cool at room temperature then place in freezer for a minimum of 5 hours (or overnight).
- Just before serving whip cream with confectioners' sugar (to taste).
- Serve the pie decorated sweetened whipped cream and lime slices.
After living for several years in the Florida Keys, I have eaten some of the best Key Lime Pie there is - so I thought! A dear friend recently sent me a box of Key Limes that are calling to be used, and since they are a precious commodity, I wanted to use a recipe that I KNEW would be great! I wasn't disappointed! The only thing I didn't add was the food color. The flavor of the crust goes perfectly with this filling. The topping is delicious as well, but can easily be skipped with how delicious the filling is. This is a wonderful recipe Kitt! Thank you for another winner!
OK, I used store bought graham cracker crust and skipped the whipped cream topping, but the real story here anyway is the filling. Oh, so smooth, light and tangy--what a great pie!