4 hrs 50 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Dragonfly AZ's Note:
If you are a peppermint fan-atic, this cake will quickly become a favorite! Perfect cake for Christmas get togethers, or anytime you have a hankering for chocolate and peppermint. Recipe from "The Cake Mix Doctor..." I think this cake tastes best if allowed to sit for about 24 hours to let the flavors meld. Passive work time includes cooling time for cake and ganache
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 ounce) box chocolate cake mix
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon peppermint schnapps or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (no subs, please)
- 1/2 cup crushed peppermint stick candy (about 7-8)
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons milk
- 1 -2 tablespoon peppermint schnapps or 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1Grease and flour 2 round cake pans.
- 2Preheat oven to 350.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, beat together cake ingredients on low for 1 minute, scraping sides of bowl occasionally.
- 4Increase mixing speed to medium high and beat for 2 minutes more.
- 5Pour batter into cake pans and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until they test done.
- 6Remove from oven and cool completely.
- 7While cooling, prepare Ganache:.
- 8Put all ganache ingredients in 2 cup glass measuring cup.
- 9Cook on 50% power in microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring well after each minute until chocolate is completely melted and mixture is smooth.
- 10Cover tightly and let sit for 3-4 hours or until it reaches spreading consistency. If it gets too thick, place in a pan of hot water over medium heat and stir until softens.
- 11To make filling:.
- 12Place butter and cream cheese in mixing bowl.
- 13Cream together until smooth and fluffy.
- 14Add candy, sugar, flavoring (or schnapps) and about 2 Tbs milk.
- 15Beat, adding additional milk until mixture is fluffy.
- 16When cakes are cool, layer them with the filling between layers, reserving about 1/2 cup of the filling for garnish, if you wish.
- 17Frost layers with cooled ganache.
- 18Pipe remaining filling on top of cake, or just sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- 19Refrigerate to set ganache.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lethal Peppermint Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (128 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 469.0
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.7 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 361.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.7 g
- Sugars 41.1 g
- Protein 5.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
peppermint stick candy