Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
If you are a lemon-lover then you will really enjoy this pie. If using whipped cream in place of Cool Whip then spread on top of the pie just before serving. Prep time is for making the lemon mixture only, this can also be made using a graham cracker crust --- see my Kittencal's No-Fail Buttery Flaky Pie Pastry/Crust
- 1 (9 inch) baked pie crusts
- 1 cup sugar (can use more)
- 3 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄2 cup freshly-squeezed lemon juice (do not use bottled)
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed or 2 cups whipped cream
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch, lemon rind, lemon juice, egg yolks and half and half cream; cook, whisking over medium heat until thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter; cool the mixture to room temperature.
- Stir in sour cream, and pour the filling into baked pie shell.
- Top with Cool Whip or whipped cream.
- Store in refrigerator.
I have made this pie several times and everyone loves it! Added a little extra lemon zest to it one of the times which was a mistake. It's perfect just the way it's written!
Loved it! I made it in the microwave, stirring every minute or so. Super easy, super fast and super delicious, can't beat that. I was bad though, I had to use the bottled lemon juice as I couldn't talk hubby into retrieving the last few lemons from our tree that are too high for me to reach. Thanks Kitten!
I made this in a graham cracker crust-my crust fell apart totally, so I had to spoon pie onto desert plates. But the taste couldn't be beat. I like a strong lemon taste and the sour cream made the lemon taste stronger than in most lemon pies. Will definately make this one again!