1 hr 30 mins
From Cooking Club of America. Pistachios are the preferred nuts for baklava in Turkey.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemons, rind of
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1Combine all syrup ingredients in medium saucepan.
- 2Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- 3Reduce heat to medium or medium-low; gently boil 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- 5(Syrup will thicken as it cools.) Place half of the pistachios in food processor; process until finely chopped.
- 6Repeat with remaining pistachios.
- 7In medium bowl, combine all filling ingredients.
- 8Heat butter in microwave-safe measuring cup in microwave on high 40 to 60 seconds or until melted; skim and discard foam off top.
- 9Pour clear butter into small cup; discard remaining milky substance at bottom.
- 10Heat oven to 350°F.
- 11Butter 13x9-inch baking pan.
- 12Unroll phyllo onto cutting board; cut to 13x9 inches.
- 13Discard excess phyllo, or reserve for another use.
- 14Cover phyllo with large dry towel.
- 15Lay 1 phyllo sheet in bottom of pan; brush with butter.
- 16Repeat, using 12 phyllo sheets.
- 17Evenly sprinkle filling over phyllo.
- 18Top with remaining 12 phyllo sheets, brushing each layer with butter.
- 19Cut baklava crosswise into 1 1/2-inch strips, cutting all the way to bottom.
- 20Cut diagonally to create diamond shapes, or cut into squares.
- 21Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until slightly puffed and light golden brown.
- 22Place on wire rack; immediately pour cooled syrup over baklava.
- 23Cool completely.
- 24TIP*Look for shelled pistachios that are not roasted and salted; they will have a brighter green color.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon-Pistachio Baklava
Serving Size: 1 (1384 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 115.2
- Calories from Fat 60
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 46.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 6.7 g
- Protein 1.7 g