This recipe is posted for the World Tour 2005 RecipeZaar event. I haven't tried it yet, but know I will. It is from the Irish Heritage Cookbook written by Margaret M. Johnson. Note that this recipe should be started the day before baking.
- Place julienned lemon zest in a small bowl. Add whiskey and let soak overnight.
- The next day, preheat oven to 350°F Grease a 9 inch cake pan.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Whisk in the eggs.
- Sift the flour and add to the butter mixture along with the salt. Stir to blend.
- Fold in the ground almonds.
- Strain the whiskey, discarding the zest, and stir the whiskey into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan, and bake about one hour, until golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
We enjoyed this very much, love the combination of flavors and texture. I served this withwhip cream as it was for desert, but I think this would be better for tea. Thank you!
Delicious cake, with a different taste. The whiskey definately added a nice twist. After a day or two in the fridge it reminded me little of biscotti. Wonderful with a cup of tea. Will be making this often.
When I first read it I knew I had to try this. And I finally did. Very good and unusual cake! I also baked it in mini loaf pans and they are so pretty. I will make again in the future thats for sure! Thanks!