Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My best friends mum makes her this cake often and she always brings it into the boarding house to share. It is really yum.
- 225 g unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g caster sugar
- 3 lemons (3 zested, 2 juiced)
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 200 g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 50 g ground almonds
- icing sugar
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Butter and line the base of a 20cm round cake tin.
- Beat the butter and caster sugar in a large bowl using electric hand whisk until pale and creamy.
- Add the lemon zest (reserving half a tsp for the icing) and mix well.
- Gradually whisk the eggs into the butter mix--don't worry if it curdles a bit.
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and fold into the egg and butter mix using a large metal spoon or spatula.
- Add the ground almonds and 3/4 of the lemon juice; fold until thoroughly combined.
- Spoon into the cake tin and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Put cake tin on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the remaining lemon juice and zest and enough icing sugar to make a runny icing and then drizzle over top of cake.
- Cool in tin for a further 30 minutes and then remove and cool completely.
Yum! I have made lemon drizzle cake to a similar recipe before, but never used ground almonds. I tried this and it worked really well - adding a subtle, well, 'almondy' flavour! Will definitely use again.