This is a wonderfully easy cake to make for Passover. It has a nice light lemon taste and the strawberry sauce is a great compliment. However, feel free to use the sauce of your choice or other accompaniment. Serve the sauce warm or at room temperature. The sauce can be made several days ahead and brought to room temperature to serve. The sauce makes 2 cups. I let each person apply their own sauce rather than pouring over the entire cake. This recipe was originally found in the "Let My People Eat!" cookbook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 ounce) box passover angel food cake mix (I use the Manischewitz brand)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1 packet vanilla sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons matzo meal
- 1Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2From cake mix, empty bag containing the powdered egg whites into a large mixing bowl.
- 3Add water and mix on low until egg whites are dissolved, then slowly increase the speed.
- 4When soft peaks begin to form, slowly add the sugar, a little at a time.
- 5Beat on high 1-2 minutes or until soft peaks form and then set aside.
- 6In another large bowl, beat oil and eggs 1-2 minutes until mixed and light in color.
- 7Add vanilla, lemon juice and zest and mix well.
- 8To the oil and egg mixture, add second bag from cake mix along with matzo cake meal.
- 9Mix on low until blended.
- 10Fold into beaten egg whites.
- 11Pour into ungreased angel food cake pan or 9-inch tube pan.
- 12Bake 35 minutes.
- 13Remove from oven and allow to cool completely before removing the cake.
- 14Serve with the sauce of your choice.
- 15SAUCE: Place strawberry preserves in a small saucepan.
- 16In small bowl, mix together the potato starch and wine, then add to the preserves.
- 17Heat on medium-high until it begins to boil.
- 18Reduce to low and stir until thickened.
- 19Remove from heat.
- 20Fold in the pineapple preserves and strawberries.
- 21Pour some over the cake or cake slices, sprinkling with almonds.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Chiffon Cake with Strawberry Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (116 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 335.4
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15.0 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 52.8 mg
- Sodium 184.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 46.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 30.0 g
- Protein 3.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of