1/1 Photo of Lattice-crust Apple Pie
1 hr 10 mins
Tisy Adams's Note:
This is not only a great tasting pie, it is absolutely beautiful to look at and it will look great on the dessert table for the holidays.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
For the filling
- 1Preparing the crust:.
- 2In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- 3Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut butter and shortening into flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- 4Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork until a dough forms.
- 5Divide dough in half; shape each half into a disk.
- 6Wrap in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
- 7Making the filling:.
- 8Place oven rack in lowest position.
- 9Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- 10In a large mixing bowl, combine apples, sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- 11Assembling the pie:.
- 12On a lightly floured surface, using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll half of dough into an 11-inch circle.
- 13Fit into a 9-inch pie pan.
- 14Spoon filling into pan.
- 15Dot with butter pieces.
- 16Roll remaining dough into a 10-inch circle.
- 17Cut into 1/2 inch strips.
- 18To form a lattice crust, arrange 2 dough strips in a cross pattern in center of pie.
- 19Ends of strips should overlap edges of bottom crust.
- 20Alternately weave strips into a lattice pattern until filling is covered.
- 21Brush crust with egg.
- 22Bake until crust is golden and filling is bubbly, about 40 minutes.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lattice-crust Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (201 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 371.4
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 49.1 mg
- Sodium 168.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 24.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g