Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These are as Aussie as it gets, and are my sister's favourite cake treat!
Make and share this Lamingtons recipe from Food.com.
- CAKE MIX METHOD:.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift flour and salt.
- Add alternately with milk to mixture.
- add vanilla.
- Blend well, but do not over beat.
- Add a little more milk if necessary, to form a soft dropping consistency.
- Spread evenly into a lamington tray (deep-ish slice tin).
- Bake at 180C for 25-35 minutes, or until cooked.
- Turn out and cool on cake rack.
- Cut into 30 squares.
- Dip each square into chocolate icing and roll in coconut.
- CHOCOLATE ICING METHOD:.
- Melt butter in 1/4 cup boiling water.
- Sift icing sugar with cocoa.
- Add liquid, mixing well.
- Add vanilla essence.
- The icing must be thin so that squares of cake can be readily coated.
- Add sufficient boiling water to form this consistency.
Having relocated to Australia earlier this year,I felt compelled to attempt to bake the nations favourite cake...especially as the family are rather partial to them. I made larger ones (fifteen to be precise) and was glad that I did,as coating the little devils was not that easy and exceedingly messy-and smaller ones would have been that much trickier. Nevertheless,it's worth it-half of them are gone already,and the children have given their seal of approval...that makes them winners in our house!