1/6 Photos of Lacemaker's Cattern Cakes - English Spiced Sugar Cookies
French Tart's Note:
"Cattern cakes" are spiced with cinnamon, lightly fruited and flavoured with caraway seeds; they are traditionally made by the English Nottingham lacemakers for the festivities on their special feast day. The recipe goes back to Tudor times, and has changed little over the centuries, although they are sometimes made with yeast dough. Also known as Catherine Cakes (after Catherine of Aragon, whom whilst imprisoned locally at Ampthill, heard of the lacemaker's financial plight, and destroyed all of her lace only to commission some more and give work to the local industry). They are specially prepared for St. Catherine's Day - the patroness of spinners, lace-makers, rope-makers and spinsters - on the 25th November, which is the lacemaker's special day. They are traditionally washed down with Hot Pot - a hot mixture of rum, beer and eggs. I find that I prefer mine with a cup of tea! These delicious little cakes are more like a soft and slightly chewy biscuit or cookie.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Mix all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl: flour, cinnamon, currants, ground almonds, caraway seeds and sugar.
- 2Add the melted butter and the beaten egg and mix well to give a soft dough.
- 3Roll the dough out on a floured board, into a rectangle about 12" x 10" - 30cm x 25cm.
- 4Brush the dough with water and sprinkle with the extra sugar and cinnamon to taste.
- 5Gently roll the dough up like a Swiss roll, not too tightly, and then cut the rolled up dough into 3/4" - 2cm slices.
- 6Place these slices on to a well greased and lined baking tray or biscuit/cookie sheet, making sure that they are spaced well apart.
- 7Bake in a pre-heated oven 200C/400F/Gas 6 for about 10 minutes, or until golden and crispy to the top.
- 8Allow the cattern cakes to cool on a wire rack. Sprinkle with extra caraway seeds, sugar and cinnamon if you like.
- 9Store in an airtight tin for up to 7 days.
Browse Our Top Rolled Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolled Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lacemaker's Cattern Cakes - English Spiced Sugar Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (716 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 252.1
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.1 g
- Cholesterol 35.8 mg
- Sodium 60.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 17.6 g
- Protein 4.1 g