1/2 Photos of Kiwi Tararua Biscuits for Tramping Trips!
1 hr 15 mins
French Tart's Note:
These biscuits are wholesome, simple to make and they pack and keep well. To keep them fresh for tramping trips it pays to pack them in day lots and label accordingly. Be warned:- Tararua biscuits can be jaw breakers as they are designed to have little moisture left by the end of cooking! Origin of this recipe: Associated with the Tararua Tramping Club by name, there are many many recipes for these biscuits. This one comes from "The New Zealand Outdoor Cookbook" by Marcelle Pilkinton - a little gem of a book for outdoor types.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Melt butter, sugar and condensed milk together in large pot.
- 2Add flour, rolled oats, coconut and baking powder. MIx well.
- 3Divide mixture in half.
- 4Spread each half onto a greased tray - spread with a knife until it forms a 30cm x30cm square, keeping edges neat and straight.
- 5Repeat with other half of mixture.
- 6Cook at 150C/300F for 10-15 minutes till light to golden brown.
- 7Cut each tray into 25 biscuits - 5 x 5.
- 8To harden biscuits a little more return to oven which has been turned off - leave for another 5 - 10 minutes.
- 9When completely cold, pack biscuits in plastic bags. Seal and label.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Kiwi Tararua Biscuits for Tramping Trips!
Serving Size: 1 (1141 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 202.3
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 22.7 mg
- Sodium 100.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.9 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 2.5 g