A long time family favorite, fresh strawberries in a delicious glaze piled onto a baked crust then topped with whipped cream, you can use a regular baked pie crust or a graham pie crust, a purchased graham cracker crust makes this easy but of coarse you may make your own crust --- I have even added in strawberry extract for even more flavor in the glaze, but that is only optional --- plan ahead the pie must chill for about 4 hours or until completely set before topping with the whipped cream, prep time includes chilling time.
- 7 cups sliced fresh strawberries (sliced in half or in thirds)
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup strawberry gelatin (I use Jell-O gelatin for this)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch (measured out exactly 1/4-cup)
- 3 -4 drops red food coloring (or as desired)
- 1 (9 inch) pie pastry (use a deep-dish crust baked and cooled completely, or can use a prepared graham cracker crust)
- 2 cups whipped cream (or to taste)
- 1 cup fresh sliced strawberry, for the top (optional)
- In a lage saucepan place the sugar, water, strawberry gelatin powder and cornstarch; bring to a boil and boil mixing constantly for about 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add in red food colouring (use as much food colouring as you wish to acheive the colour desired).
- Fold in 7 cups sliced strawberries; toss well with a wooden spoon or spatula to combine.
- Transfer to prepared crust.
- Refrigerate for about 4 hours or until completely set.
- Top pie with whipped cream.
- Place more sliced strawberries on top of whipped cream if desired in a decorative fashion.