This is my version of a key lime pie, it is traditional, no tweaks and nothing like zest thrown in! I make it with real eggs, real sugar and real milk -- so expect real calories. I always top with home-made whipped cream. I will put what I use to make it at the bottom, but I have never measured it so I can't help there :( . And I use plain white sugar instead of confectioners sugar (I had never even heard of canfectioners sugar in whipped cream until I joined here!) Also, it is very important to use key-lime juice. I have subbed regular in a pinch but it's not a fresh tasting.
- Preheat oven to 350*F.
- Combine graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar until crumbly.
- Press this mixture into a pie plate, put in freezer to chill about 15 minutes.
- Bake pie crust between 5-10 minutes depending on your oven until crisp and crumbly. Take out and cool completely.
- Combine egg yolks, milk and juice in a large bowl.
- Hand whisk until smooth.
- Dump into prepared pie crust.
- Bake 8-10 minutes at 350*F
- Check and make sure pie is set; if not cook longer.
- WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a mixing bowl combine whipped cream (about 1 cup).
- white sugar to your liking (I usually dump it in and I imagine I use somewhere between 1/4 cup and 1/3 cup).
- Mix on high speed with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form, be careful not to over beat and end up with butter!