My good friend Leona gave me this recipe years ago when my children were all very small. They loved these cookies and so did I. Real good with a nice cold glass of milk.
- Cream together margarine and brown sugar. Beat in egg, molasses until fluffy.
- Add soda with water, salt and vanilla.
- Stir in eough flour to make a stiff dough for rolling.
- Roll out 1/8th inch thick and cut into circles. (about 1 1/2 inches across).
- Bake at 350*F for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool on wire racks.
- When cool put together in pairs with jam in the middle.
Oct 17, 2005: These were a big hit! But I have to say that they were very hard to work with. It may have been that I used margarine instead of butter. I couldn't get the dough to go stiff. It was very oily. As I was rolling the cookies out, the dough was breaking up. I eventually got them rolled out and they cooked up like a dream in 10 minutes. I took these to my sons' school for the teachers and they all seemed to enjoy them. My son managed to snag a couple and he loved them as well. We used KITTENCAL's Homemade Marshmallow Fluff #75813 to "fill" them. If I were to use butter for these, I think it would turn out less oily. I will try them again with butter. The flavour was excellent and well worth the effort. UPDATE: I have now made these numerous times! I only use butter now. It is well worth it. My fiance rushes home from work whenever I make these. They are one of his favourite. My sons also get excited when they see the big lump of brown cookie dough sitting on the counter. I can't thank you enough for this wonderful recipe.
These were really good, and smelled so yummy!