Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is another recipe I have used in our cookie exchanges. Posting it, so I can get rid of the piece of paper it is written on :) **UPDATE** I made these without the lemon extract...instead I used approx 3 tbls of lemon zest!! Perfect flavors of lemon and almond!!
- 6 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking powder, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil or 1 cup shortening, melted
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 3⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- colored sprinkles (mixed red, green and white!)
- In a mixing bowl, beat eggs until light and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside. In another mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder; stir in oil and extracts. Gradually add eggs (dough will be stiff). Roll dough into 1 inch balls. Place on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- For glaze, combine milk and extracts in a large bowl. Add sugar; whisk until the glaze is smooth. As soon as cookies are removed from the oven, quickly immerse 2 or 3 at a time into the glaze. Remove with slotted spoon (or fingers lol).
- Place cookies on wire racks to drain. quickly top with sprinkles. Let dry 24 hours before storing in airtight containers.
- Time does not include drying time.
Favorite cookie of many in my family !
This is my absolutely favorite cookie. I have been making these cookies for years...same recipe, except, I do not press them after they are rolled into balls. I ALWAYS have to double the glaze in order to dunk every cookie. They look very sweet with all of the sprinkles, but are not overly sweet and they go great with coffee.