I found this recipe in a Twinings Tea advertorial and thought it sounded interesting, posted here for safekeeping!
- Soak fruit in the prepared tea overnight.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 150.C and grease & line a 20cm sqyare cake pan.
- Stir brandy & sugar into fruit mixture until dissolved and then stir in the eggs.
- Gradually fold in flour and spice and combine until mixture is smooth.
- Pour into a pan & bake for one hour.
- Remove from oven & cover with foil and bake for a further 30 minutes.
- Set aside to cool for approx 30 mins before turning out onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store for 24 hours before slicing.
- Serve with butter & a cup of tea.
I baked this for afternoon tea today, everyone enjoyed it. Just a couple of changes: I only had currants, dried cherries and some mixed peel. I soaked the fruit in a strong chai tea. A fruity/spicy sweet bread. This was made for the Irish session of the Virtual Culinary Cruise: British Isles & Ireland.