1/2 Photos of Irish Chocolate Cake
Oh my goodness!!! If you are a dark chocolate lover (like me) then this is the cake for you....note the "secret" ingredient!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces dark chocolate
- 4 ounces butter
- 3/4 cup fine sugar
- 3 ounces cooked mashed potatoes (Yes, really. Trust me.)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F
- 2Grease and line 8-inch cake tins.
- 3Sift flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Melt chocolate in a bowl placed over a saucepan of hot water.
- 4In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar together until fluffy, then beat in the chocolate and mashed potato.
- 5Gradually beat in the egg, adding a little flour with each addition.
- 6Fold in the rest of the flour and stir in the milk.
- 7Divide mixture between cake tins and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is firm but springy to the touch.
- 8Remove from oven and after a few minutes, turn out on a cooling rack.
- 9While the cake is cooling, make the icing. Melt the chocolate as before, stir in the other ingredients and mix well.
- 10Use the icing to sandwich the cake layers together and coat the top and sides of the cake.
- 11HINT: What makes this rich chocolate cake "Irish" is not only to the creamy liqueur used in the filling, but also a particularly "Irish" ingredient in the cake mixture itself, which makes it extremely moist. Have you guessed it yet? Yes, it's the potato! Mystery solved! Bet you were wondering what potatoes were doing in a cake recipe! Even Irish dessert recipes make use of this abundant Irish crop!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Irish Chocolate Cake
Serving Size: 1 (926 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 3362.8
- Calories from Fat 2148
- Total Fat 238.6 g
- Saturated Fat 145.5 g
- Cholesterol 840.3 mg
- Sodium 3521.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 322.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 32.0 g
- Sugars 183.2 g
- Protein 50.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: