Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
These were one of the treats at a new neighbour's open house - I just couldn't stop eating them!! Like any good neighbour, she shared the recipe with me .... and now I'm sharing it with you!!
- BROWNIES: Combine flour& sugar in large mixing bowl.
- Melt butter& shortening in saucepan; add cocoa& coffee and heat to boiling.
- Pour boiling mixture over dry ingredients& mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients& mix well.
- Pour into greased 11 x 17 inch baking dish and bake in preheated 400F oven for 20 mins or until done.
- Allow to cool before icing.
- ICING: Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add cocoa& milk and heat to boiling.
- Add icing sugar& vanilla; mix well& spread over brownies.
Excellent Brownie recipe, CountryLady. Very easy to put together and bake. Especially love the fact they're "cake-like"! Sooooo good! Thanks for sharing. Laudee
My daughter especially loved these cake-like brownies with their rich, gooey frosting. I also enjoyed them very much, as did my husband, although we are more particularly fond of the "fudgey" style brownies. This makes a ton of brownies! - great for a bake sale or a crowd of guests. My jelly roll pan was the perfect size for these. I enjoyed the hint of coffee flavor in these. Thanks!
After I added the wet ingredients to the dry, it was the perfect brownie texture. Unfortunately, I still had to add two eggs, 1/2 cup of milk, and a tsp of vanilla (plus bp). This mixture was WAY too thin to make a proper brownie, and the taste was very bland. I fixed it by adding an additional cup of flour, 1/8 cup sugar, 1/8 cup cocoa, and 1/4 cup carob powder. Not sure what happened with this one.