Prep 0 mins
Cook 8 mins
I have always wanted to try this recipe but never got to it. I found it while searching for a different recipe and I thought I should share it too see if it was any good. But I know it is very good because of other people who have tried it out. I will definitely try this one soon. (freezing: you can freeze this for up to 1 month)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line an 11 1/2- x 17-inch jellyroll pan with parchment paper.
- With an electric mixer on high speed, beat the egg yolks and half of the sugar until it becomes thick and has a pale color.
- Gently fold in the flour and cocoa with a rubber spatula.
- With clean beaters, beat the egg whites. Start mixing slowly until the egg whites start to foam. Then increase speed of beating and add the rest of the sugar, SLOWLY, until soft peaks form.
- Start folding the egg white mixture into the cocoa mixture in thirds, carefully, with a rubber spatula. Make sure you mix until just combined each time you mix the egg white mixture into the cocoa mixture.
- Spread the batter out on to your prepared pan.
- Bake for about 8-12 minutes on the middle rack of the oven until the top of the top feels spongy. Then cool.
- Loosen the sides of the cake of the pan by running a knife around the edges. Dust with cocoa. Loosely place a layer of plastic wrap a little bit past the edge of the pan. Carefully flip the pan over onto a baking sheet and lift off the pan from the cake. Peel the parchment off the cake.
- Beat ice cream with electric mixer until spreadable (about 1 minute). Then spread this ice cream onto the cake, but leave a 1-inch border around the edges of the cake.
- Start from one of the longest sides of the cake, roll it up using the plastic wrap to help. Roll to form a long, firm roll.
- Wrap roll in plastic wrap then aluminum foil.
- Freeze for 4 hours then unwrap, cut into slices and serve.
Made for company and it was awesome! This was almost like rolling sushi, only with plastic wrap! The directions for rolling worked great. The result was a delicious ice cream cake roll that brought me back to childhood. We loved it and each gave it 5 stars, so that means 20 stars! We poured hot fudge and nuts over the top and topped with whip cream. Talk about chocolate sensation? This is IT!
This is delicious, perfect texture. I feel it with butter cream icing too! thanks for sharing.
Such a good cake! I made it for a party and everyone loved it. I used Rocky Road ice cream which went perfectly with the cake. The cake isn't super sweet but it is very light and fluffy, even after sitting in my freezer for well over 24 hrs. I didn't have a jellyroll pan so I used a normal sheet cake pan instead. My cake was a little thicker then it probably should be but it was awesome. The plastic wrap made it super easy to roll the cake up. It took me maybe 5 minutes to smear on the ice cream and roll the cake up, super easy.