Cook1 hr 48 mins
Found in Woman's Day magazine March 2008. I am waiting for some great fresh rhubarb to hit our farmer's market and then this recipe will be made! I like the idea that it is a pie and not just a basic crumble - so it should hold up better when serving.
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups strawberries, each cut in half
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup dry tapioca
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 425F and place a rack in the lower third of the oven and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Prepare pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate.
- Prepare filling: Mix all fill ingredients in a large bowl and let rest for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Prepare topping: Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Using your fingers, rub in butter until mixture forms clumps. Stir in almonds.
- Spoon filling into pie shell and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- Place pie on lined baking sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- Turn oven down to 350F and bake 1 hour longer, until fruit is bubbly and topping is brown and crisp.
- Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- Optional: you can top each slice with vanilla ice cream before serving.