1/1 Photo of Humble Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie
2 hrs 18 mins
1 hr 48 mins
Found in Woman's Day magazine March 2008. I am waiting for some great fresh rhubarb to hit our farmer's market and then this recipe will be made! I like the idea that it is a pie and not just a basic crumble - so it should hold up better when serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups strawberries, each cut in half
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup dry tapioca
- 1Preheat oven to 425F and place a rack in the lower third of the oven and line a baking sheet with foil.
- 2Prepare pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate.
- 3Prepare filling: Mix all fill ingredients in a large bowl and let rest for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Prepare topping: Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Using your fingers, rub in butter until mixture forms clumps. Stir in almonds.
- 5Spoon filling into pie shell and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- 6Place pie on lined baking sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- 7Turn oven down to 350F and bake 1 hour longer, until fruit is bubbly and topping is brown and crisp.
- 8Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- 9Optional: you can top each slice with vanilla ice cream before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Humble Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 163.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 55.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g