1/1 Photo of Humble Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie
2 hrs 18 mins
1 hr 48 mins
Found in Woman's Day magazine March 2008. I am waiting for some great fresh rhubarb to hit our farmer's market and then this recipe will be made! I like the idea that it is a pie and not just a basic crumble - so it should hold up better when serving.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts (homemade or store bought)
- 4 cups rhubarb, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups strawberries, each cut in half
- 1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup dry tapioca
- 1Preheat oven to 425F and place a rack in the lower third of the oven and line a baking sheet with foil.
- 2Prepare pie crust and place in a 9-inch pie plate.
- 3Prepare filling: Mix all fill ingredients in a large bowl and let rest for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4Prepare topping: Mix flour, sugar, and salt in a bowl. Using your fingers, rub in butter until mixture forms clumps. Stir in almonds.
- 5Spoon filling into pie shell and sprinkle evenly with topping.
- 6Place pie on lined baking sheet and bake 15 minutes.
- 7Turn oven down to 350F and bake 1 hour longer, until fruit is bubbly and topping is brown and crisp.
- 8Let cool on a wire rack for at least 20 minutes before serving.
- 9Optional: you can top each slice with vanilla ice cream before serving.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Humble Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble Pie
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.4
- Calories from Fat 192
- Total Fat 21.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.3 g
- Cholesterol 30.5 mg
- Sodium 163.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 90.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 55.3 g
- Protein 4.9 g