Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a great, spicy zucchini bread that is sweetened only with honey. Make this on a Saturday morning to enjoy with your coffee.
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2 cups grated unpeeled zucchini
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190C).
- Butter two 8 x 4 inch loaf pans.
- Beat eggs well.
- Add oil, then honey (put honey in measuring cup after oil because the oiled cup will allow the honey to drip out more easily) and vanilla.
- Stir in zucchini.
- Mix dry ingredients together.
- Stir into zucchini along with nuts.
- Pour into the prepared loaf pans.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, or until tested done.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes before turning out.
A great way to use all that zucchini that you have this time of year. I made muffins and baked about 18 minutes.
A lovely spiced bread, easy and quick to put together. Liked the tip about measuring the honey after the oil too!
Several people had problems with a too dark crust but undone center, so I decreased the oven temp to 350 and increased the time to 1 hour and 10 minutes. My loaf pans are stoneware and metal pans may cook differently, so I'd recommend you check them at 55 minutes and add time until the pick is clean. I also use a thermometer. For regular bread, I take it out at 190-200 degrees, but this shouldn't be dry, so I'd look for more like 180 degrees.<br/><br/>By doing this, I had a light brown crust with a moist, but done center. I also decreased the ginger to half a teaspoon because my family likes it less spicy.