Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
I started grinding my own wheat and making homemade wheat bread about three years ago. I love this recipe. It makes four loaves of bread, which sounds like a lot unless you have four kids. Also it freezes great. I slice mine, put it in a plastic bread bag, and zip it in a freezer bag. It's good up to one month. I've had problems with homemade wheat bread crumbling, not so with this recipe. Another thing I've found to make a tasty bread use 1/2 hard white wheat flour and 1/2 hard red wheat flour if you can.Hope you enjoy.
- Put water in mixer and add 4 c of flour.
- Mix for a few seconds and then add yeast, honey, oil, dough enhancer, and salt. Pulse a few times.
- Then while mixing add just enough flour till dough pulls away from the side of the bowl.
- Dough should be slightly sticky to the touch.
- Mix 10-12 minutes giving the gluten time to develop.
- Place in greased bowl cover and let rise 45 minutes.
- Punch down and shape into loves.
- Place in greased loaf pans, and let rise 20-30 minutes.
- Bake 30-35 minutes at 350°.
I LOVE this bread! I started grinding my grain a few months ago, and have been making it ever since. I too have 4 kiddos, and we go through it extremely quickly. I use agave instead of honey, and coconut oil for the oil. Yummy!
Homegirl - this is a really nice recipe. Like you, I have four kids and bake all of our bread. I do add a little more bread enhancer than your recipe calls for (3 TBSP), and I add 1/2 cup of oil and get really great results. This is our "daily bread" now. Thanks so much for posting!
This is my new 'standard' bread. It's great for eating plain or with butter/honey/peanut butter, makes excellent grilled cheeses. I also diced and baked a few slices for 10 minutes at 350 for awesome crunchy crutons. We're going thru it so fast, four loaves hardly last 3 days. I also have 4 kids. I am using my local raw creamed honey and milk instead of water. I grind my own Prairie Gold" wheat and omitted the bread enhancer. One loaf is gone within an hour of baking. Soooo so good.