1 hr 25 mins
Toast up this delicous healthy bread and serve with soup or eat with a pat of sweet butter! There is about 2 hours rising time. Adapted from Country Living magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup coarse cornmeal
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ (or wheat bran)
- 1/4 cup cooked rice (preferably brown)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 1/2 teaspoons fast-rising active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 cup buttermilk, warmed to 100 degrees F
- 3/4 cup mineral water, warmed to 100 degrees F (add more as needed)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1Make the dough:.
- 2In a large food processor(or bowl) fitted with metal blade, combine the flours, cornmeal, 1/4 cup oats, wheat germ(or bran), rice, sugar, yeast, and salt. In a small bowl, combine the honey and buttermilk and stir into the dry mixture.
- 3Using a wooden spoon to mix by hand, add the water 1/4 cup at a time until a stiff dough comes together, or process until dough comes together and rides around the bowl with the blade.
- 4On a work surface lightly dusted with flour, knead dough by hand until glossy and elastic, about 10 minutes -- or process in food processor for 45 more seconds.
- 5Proof the dough:
- 6Coat a large bowl with the vegetable oil. Shape dough into a ball and place in the bowl, turning dough to coat all sides. Cover bowl with a clean, damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 7Form the loaf:
- 8Punch down the dough and shape into a tight ball. Return dough to the floured surface, cover, and let rest for 10 minutes.
- 9Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal. Shape the dough into a 10-inch oval, tapering the ends, and place on the baking sheet. Cover with damp kitchen towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- 10Bake the bread:.
- 11Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, lightly beat egg with 1 tablespoon of water. Brush loaf with egg wash and sprinkle with remaining tablespoon rolled oats. Using a sharp knife or razor blade, cut 3 diagonal slashes in the top of the dough.
- 12Bake in the lower third of the oven until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped, 50 to 60 minutes. Cool on a rack. Serve at room temperature or toasted.
- 13Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
- 14TIPS & TECHNIQUES.
- 15To make a sunflower loaf, substitute 1/2 cup hulled sunflower seeds for the rice and add 1 more tablespoon of honey. Sprinkle top with sun-flower seeds before baking.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty and Healthy Five-Grain Bread
Serving Size: 1 (101 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 280.3
- Calories from Fat 30
- Total Fat 3.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 24.0 mg
- Sodium 545.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 10.6 g
- Protein 8.5 g