This is a geat healthy bread for the bread machine. It is great toasted or for sandwiches. I make a two pound loaf every weekend and it never lasts long enough. Be sure to start with all ingredients at room temperature.
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 tablespoon vital wheat gluten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons bread machine yeast
- 3⁄4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- Put all ingredients except cranberries and walnuts in the bread machine pan.
- Bake at light crust, basic setting.
- Check the dough in the early stages of mixing. It should form a smooth but slightly sticky ball.
- Add additional flour, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough ball looks right. I usually have to add 2-3 tablespoons more flour, but it varies with the amount of humidity in the air.
- Add cranberries and walnuts at the add fruit signal, or about five minutes before the end of the kneading cycle.