Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Quick Cooking magazine. Very tasty cake.
Make and share this Hawaiian Sunset Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package orange cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- toasted coconut (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, coconut and sour cream.
- Remove 1 c. to another bowl
- set aside.
- Place one cake on a serving plate; top with one third of the remaining pineapple mixture.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Fold whipped topping into the reserved pineapple mixture.
- Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.
This cake is really good! The only change I made between the first and second time I made it was to include the whipped topping in the layers as well rather than on just the outside- we just liked it better that way. I also poked some holes into the cake and added cherry juice to create that sunset look. The cake itself is really moist and the frosting is wonderfully light with chunky textures from the pineapple & coconut. Also, I didn't do the toasted coconut the 1st time but I did the second time and we all agreed that the toasted coconut just added another lovely dimension to it. Definitely a keeper! Thank you so much :)
Thank You Tootsie! I poked some small holes & drizzled marichino cherry juice lightly on each layer before spreading the filling.It really added color & kicked up the flavor even more. I was swamped with requests!
This cake is great!! My brother-in-law always makes me make him one for his birthday. I make it just as the recipe states and it always comes out scrumdiddilyumptious. Best served cold. The longer you refrigerate the better it tastes.