From Quick Cooking magazine. Very tasty cake.
Make and share this Hawaiian Sunset Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package white cake mix or 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package orange cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package orange gelatin
- 4 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (20 ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 (10 ounce) package flaked coconut
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (8 ounce) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed
- toasted coconut (optional)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the first six ingredients; mix well.
- Pour into three greased and floured 9 inch round baking pans.
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine the pineapple, sugar, coconut and sour cream.
- Remove 1 c. to another bowl
- set aside.
- Place one cake on a serving plate; top with one third of the remaining pineapple mixture.
- Repeat layers twice.
- Fold whipped topping into the reserved pineapple mixture.
- Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut if desired.