1/1 Photo of Hanukkah Gelt Double Fudge Chocolate Layer Cake
This is a Dorn family tradition! Each year the kids try to outdo each other decorating the cake.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cocoa, measured then sifted
- 1 1/2 cups warm flat cola drink
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter or 3/4 cup unsalted margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup cocoa, measured then sifted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, measured then sifted, up to 4
- 1/2 cup water or 1/2 cup cola or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 20 -30 gold chocolate coins
- colored sprinkles or candy sprinkles
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 2Lightly grease (2) 9-inch layer pans and line with parchment paper circles.
- 3In a large mixing bowl, blend sugar and oil.
- 4Add eggs and mix until well blended and mixture is thick and lightened in texture.
- 5In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cocoa.
- 6Fold dry ingredients into wet- and mix- drizzling in cola as mixture blends.
- 7If using an electric mixer, use slow speed and mix about 3 minutes, scraping sides and bottom once to incorporate all ingredients evenly.
- 8This is a thin batter.
- 9Bake, on middle oven rack, 35-40 minutes, until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- 10ICING: Cream melted chocolate, shortening, butter and vanilla with cocoa and 1 cup of the confectioner's sugar.
- 11Add remaining confectioner's sugar and whip on high speed, adding in a bit of water, cola or half-and-half to get a light, fluffy consistency.
- 12If not using right away, re-whip before using.
- 13Add additional warm water to get correct consistency (a tablespoon at a time).
- 14DECORATING: Place one layer on a cardboard circle.
- 15Ice this with about 1/2- inch of frosting.
- 16Place top layer and ice cake- sides first.
- 17Coat sides with colored sprinkles.
- 18Garnish bottom edge with coins.
- 19Garnish top with coins- placing them either flat on top of cake or standing up (You may cut some of the coins in half to garnish border of top layer).
- 20Place a couple of miniature dreidels in centre if desired or Chanukah candles (can be lit when menorah is lit).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hanukkah Gelt Double Fudge Chocolate Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (151 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 581.3
- Calories from Fat 277
- Total Fat 30.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 62.5 mg
- Sodium 241.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 52.1 g
- Protein 5.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
gold chocolate coins