This is a Dorn family tradition! Each year the kids try to outdo each other decorating the cake.
Make and share this Hanukkah Gelt Double Fudge Chocolate Layer Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups oil
- 3 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup cocoa, measured then sifted
- 1 1⁄2 cups warm flat cola drink
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter or 3⁄4 cup unsalted margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa, measured then sifted
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, measured then sifted, up to 4
- 1⁄2 cup water or 1⁄2 cup cola or 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 20 -30 gold chocolate coins
- colored sprinkles or candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly grease (2) 9-inch layer pans and line with parchment paper circles.
- In a large mixing bowl, blend sugar and oil.
- Add eggs and mix until well blended and mixture is thick and lightened in texture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and cocoa.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet- and mix- drizzling in cola as mixture blends.
- If using an electric mixer, use slow speed and mix about 3 minutes, scraping sides and bottom once to incorporate all ingredients evenly.
- This is a thin batter.
- Bake, on middle oven rack, 35-40 minutes, until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- ICING: Cream melted chocolate, shortening, butter and vanilla with cocoa and 1 cup of the confectioner's sugar.
- Add remaining confectioner's sugar and whip on high speed, adding in a bit of water, cola or half-and-half to get a light, fluffy consistency.
- If not using right away, re-whip before using.
- Add additional warm water to get correct consistency (a tablespoon at a time).
- DECORATING: Place one layer on a cardboard circle.
- Ice this with about 1/2- inch of frosting.
- Place top layer and ice cake- sides first.
- Coat sides with colored sprinkles.
- Garnish bottom edge with coins.
- Garnish top with coins- placing them either flat on top of cake or standing up (You may cut some of the coins in half to garnish border of top layer).
- Place a couple of miniature dreidels in centre if desired or Chanukah candles (can be lit when menorah is lit).
I made this for my hubby's birthday and he loved it! I usually don't make layer cakes, so this was a real treat for him and my children as well. We are chocolate addicts, so the only thing I did different was, for the cake batter, to use 1/2 a cup regular cocoa and 1/2 a cup of special dark cocoa. For the icing, I used 1/2 a cup of regular cocoa and 1/4 cup of special dark cocoa. Wow, the cake is rich and we love it that way! The icing was perfect and covered the cake just right. With any cake recipe, I have to make it a few times to get it just right. I cooked it for 35 minutes and think next time I will cook it for 30 minutes, as it was a tad dry. This of course, is not the recipe's fault~it is mine :-). The cake is beautiful and the taste is incredible! Thanks so much for a delightful treat today, Mirj.