1/2 Photos of Greek Olive Bread
1 hr 5 mins
Nuggets of feta cheese and olives stud this delicious loaf, perfect with grilled or barbecued lamb or chicken.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -3 1/2 cups bread or 3 -3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 (2 3/4 teaspoon) package active dry yeast or 1 (2 3/4 teaspoon) package fast rising yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup very warm water
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pitted oil-cured olives or 1 cup black olives
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil, for brushing
- 1In a large mixing bowl stir 3 cups of the flour, the yeast, sugar, and salt together.
- 2Make a hole in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the 2 tablespoons olive oil and the water.
- 3Stir until all the dry ingredients are moistened.
- 4Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
- 5Sprinkle a work surface with flour.
- 6Scrape dough out onto the floured surface.
- 7Dust the top of the dough with flour.
- 8Knead until the dough is smooth and develops small bubbles just under the surface, about 5 minutes, adding more flour if the dough gets sticky.
- 9Place in a clean, greased bowl, turning to grease all over.
- 10Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- 11Punch down the dough and pat it into a ½ inch thick circle.
- 12Sprinkle with the olives and cheese.
- 13Knead the dough lightly to incorporate the ingredients, then shape into a ball.
- 14Pat out to make a circle 8 inches in diameter.
- 15Place on a greased baking sheet.
- 16With a 3-inch round cutter, cut a circle in the center but leave the round of dough in place.
- 17(You can bake the removed center alongside the bread; it will probably cook faster than the circular loaf.) Brush the dough with the 2 teaspoons of oil.
- 18Cover and let rise until puffy, 30 to 45 minutes.
- 19Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- 20Bake for 25 minutes or until the crust is a rich golden brown and the loaf sounds hollow when tapped.
- 21Cool the bread on a wire rack before slicing.
- 22Makes 1 round loaf.
- 23Beatrice Ojakangas Baking Book.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Greek Olive Bread
Serving Size: 1 (513 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 876.7
- Calories from Fat 503
- Total Fat 55.9 g
- Saturated Fat 17.0 g
- Cholesterol 66.7 mg
- Sodium 3888.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.8 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 22.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: