1/2 Photos of Gluten-Free White Bread - Almost Supermarket Style!
2 hrs 40 mins
Houmous Monster's Note:
Inspired by Carol Fenster's Bread recipe, this gluten-free (and now dairy-free) bread recipe is wonderful. Not too dry, soft but not crumbly, and with just enough flavour, this is perfect for sandwiches. It can also make a french style bread if you skip the rising stage.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup sorghum flour (also called juwar flour)
- 2/3 cup cornflour or 2/3 cup potato starch
- 7 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons maize flour (masa de harina)
- 6 g active dry yeast (not rapid rise)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup of 40 degrees celsius water (minus three tablespoons if using whole eggs)
- 1 cup cornflour or 1 cup potato starch
- 1/4 cup soymilk
- 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 whole eggs (if reducing the water) or 3 egg whites, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (cider, white or rice)
- 1To test your yeast before starting, mix the yeast, sugar and water in a bowl. Let stand for about five minutes, till it's foamy.
- 2In a large bowl mix the first four dry ingredients (sorghum flour, cornflour/potato starch, tapioca, maise flour) and use a mixer at low speed to throughly blend the dry ingredients. This creates a basic gluten-free flour mix.
- 3Measure out two cups of the basic flour mix. (Any left overs can be saved for other uses) To the two cups of flour add: the cornflour (or potato starch), Xanthan Gum, and salt. Again use the mixer at low speed to throughly combine the dry ingredients.
- 4Now add the yeast mixture, margarine (or butter), vinegar, soy milk and three whole eggs (or egg whites if you prefer). Beat the mixture on high for two minutes to create a soft runny batter.
- 5Use a non-stick (or grease and flour) a 8 1/2" x 4" bread loaf pan. Fill the loaf pan with batter and allow the batter to double in size.
- 6Pre-heat your oven to 220C (425F). When temperature is reached place bread in oven for twenty minutes or till lightly browned. Then cover with aluminium foil and continue to bake for another twenty minutes or until a cake tester inserted into the centre can be removed clean.
- 7Turn the bread out on a cooling rack and allow to cool before slicing.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten-Free White Bread - Almost Supermarket Style!
Serving Size: 1 (757 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1311.9
- Calories from Fat 233
- Total Fat 25.9 g
- Saturated Fat 6.3 g
- Cholesterol 558.0 mg
- Sodium 3755.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 232.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 21.5 g
- Sugars 18.3 g
- Protein 43.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: