Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 20 mins
When my sister recently was put on a gluten and lactose free diet, I went all over the Internet looking for a rye bread for her. This is what I found at hindbærsnitten.dk. It is so good, that my DB asked if I would make it for him, too. The dough will be thick and sticky like cold oatmeal, don't worry about that it will bake up fine. So I do, using regular flour though. The taste is fantastic, a little hard to slice. Freezes well.
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked rice or 1 cup cooked rice
- 200 ml yellow cornmeal
- 200 ml buckwheat flakes
- 100 ml sesame seeds
- 100 ml flax seeds, ground
- 100 ml sunflower seeds
- 400 ml boiling water
- 100 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons liquid gravy browner or 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 50 g fresh yeast cakes or 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 100 ml plain yogurt or 100 ml buttermilk or 100 ml water
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- If using uncooked rice, cook as you would regular rice.
- In a large Stand mixer-bowl add corn meal, buckwheat flakes, sesame seeds, ground flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and pour the boiling water over. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- Add the last boiling water to the seed and flake mixture, Sprinkle the dry yeast on top and leave it for another 10 minutes till it has dissolved and is think and foamy on top.
- Add cooked rice, oil, sugar, salt and gravy color or cocoa, and start the machine, using the dough hook. Gradually add yogurt or buttermilk and the gluten free flour. The dough will look and feel like thick oatmeal.
- It is important to keep the machine on low for at least 5 minutes, keep scraping the sides and the dough hook.
- Pour into a greased 1.75L loaf form, and using a wet fork prick the surface.
- Place in the oven on the bottom rack.
- Bake at 180 C / 375 F for 1 hour.
- When baked remove from loaf pan, and wrap in a damp dishtowel and let cool on a rack, turning a few times. Store in the refrigerator for up till 1 week.
- Freezing instructions: Wrap in double plastic and place fresh in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator.