2 hrs 20 mins
1 hr 20 mins
Benthe (Danish)'s Note:
When my sister recently was put on a gluten and lactose free diet, I went all over the Internet looking for a rye bread for her. This is what I found at hindbærsnitten.dk. It is so good, that my DB asked if I would make it for him, too. The dough will be thick and sticky like cold oatmeal, don't worry about that it will bake up fine. So I do, using regular flour though. The taste is fantastic, a little hard to slice. Freezes well.
My Private Note
1.75l l ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice or 1 cup cooked rice
- 200 ml yellow cornmeal
- 200 ml buckwheat flakes
- 100 ml sesame seeds
- 100 ml flax seeds, ground
- 100 ml sunflower seeds
- 400 ml boiling water
- 100 ml boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 tablespoons liquid gravy browner or 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 50 g fresh yeast cakes or 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 100 ml plain yogurt or 100 ml buttermilk or 100 ml water
- 2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1If using uncooked rice, cook as you would regular rice.
- 2In a large Stand mixer-bowl add corn meal, buckwheat flakes, sesame seeds, ground flax seeds, sunflower seeds, and pour the boiling water over. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- 3Add the last boiling water to the seed and flake mixture, Sprinkle the dry yeast on top and leave it for another 10 minutes till it has dissolved and is think and foamy on top.
- 4Add cooked rice, oil, sugar, salt and gravy color or cocoa, and start the machine, using the dough hook. Gradually add yogurt or buttermilk and the gluten free flour. The dough will look and feel like thick oatmeal.
- 5It is important to keep the machine on low for at least 5 minutes, keep scraping the sides and the dough hook.
- 6Pour into a greased 1.75L loaf form, and using a wet fork prick the surface.
- 7Place in the oven on the bottom rack.
- 8Bake at 180 C / 375 F for 1 hour.
- 9When baked remove from loaf pan, and wrap in a damp dishtowel and let cool on a rack, turning a few times. Store in the refrigerator for up till 1 week.
- 10Freezing instructions: Wrap in double plastic and place fresh in the freezer. Defrost in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gluten Free Almost Danish Rye Bread
Serving Size: 1 (76 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.0
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.9 mg
- Sodium 342.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 4.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
liquid gravy browner