Typically baked in a special round form that bakes a rim for easier filling, but any round 11 inch form will do. Fill baked bottom with 3/8 inch (1 cm) pastry cream or thick vanilla pudding and top with fresh fruit like strawberries. Keep strawberries from toppling off the cake by pouring a little strawberry flavored prepared jello over strawberries. When set cut cake into 12 wedges. Serve with a dollop of whipped cream on the side.
- Grease pan. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beat until light in color.
- Mix flour, salt and baking powder. Add half of flour, beat until just blended. Add 3 tbs milk, just blend. Add rest of flour, just blend.
- Batter should drop slowly from a spoon, forming long tips. If too firm add another tbs milk.
- Spread batter evenly in pan.
- Bake in lower third of oven 18-22 minutes until golden yellow. Let cool in form for 10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Use immediately or store tightly wrapped for 24 hours or freeze.