Funny cake is kind of a cake/pie combination, as is Shoo-fly pie. It has a cake "filling" surrounded by a pie crust. Also, like shoo fly pie, it has a "wet bottom" - a layer of chocolate goo between the pie crust bottom and the cake top.... and funny cake is very, very good!!!
- Combine bottom layer ingredients in a saucepan.
- Cook, stirring constantly just to boilng, lower heat and simmer gently 2 to 3 minutes.
- Set aside.
- For cake layer, blend eggs, sugar& butter.
- Beat 2 to 3 minutes.
- Alternately beat in milk& flour/baking powder mix.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour into unbaked pie shells.
- Pour chocolate mixture over top of batter.
- Chocolate will be very runny but will thicken and"sink" below batter as it bakes.
- Bake at 350º for 35 to 40 minutes.