Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a most delicious pie. It's a heritage recipe and I've been using it for the last few summers in using up bumper pear crops. If pears are scarce, you can use canned pears.
- Fill pie shell with sliced pears.
- Mix together 1/4 cup of the sugar,the salt, cornstarch, lemon rind, and lemon juice and spread over the pears.
- Mix together remaining sugar, spices and flour and add to butter.
- Stir with a fork until crumbly and sprinkle over pears.
- Bake at 450F for 15 minutes, reducing to 350F to bake about 30 minutes more.
This recipe is just yummy. We love it and will be making it again.
Very delicious! I had some pears to use up and this wonderful recipe caught my eye! I made as directed, substituting allspice for the mace (none in the pantry). I am certain I will be making this again! Thank you so much, woodland hues!
This is almost identical to a recipe my aunt put into our church cookbook. Absolutely delicious!!! My aunt uses 2 Tbsp. flour instead of the 1 Tbsp. cornstarch, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, and only 1/2 a cup of sugar instead of 3/4, but other than that, this is the same recipe.