Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Fruit pies always make a good dessert, I think. Based on the reviews, I don't think any changes are necessary for this adopted recipe. The reviewer's suggestion of lemon juice instead of orange juice is a great idea if you're like me and always have lemons or lemon juice but rarely keep orange juice in the house.
- 6 cups Bartlett pears, pared and thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon, rind of
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, frozen concentrate
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
SPICY CRUMB TOPPING
- 3⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger, Ground
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, Ground
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup regular margarine
- Combine the pears, orange juice concentrate and lemon rind in a bowl and toss lightly.
- Arrange the pear mixture in the unbaked pie shell.
- Prepare the Spicy Crumb Topping (instructions below) and sprinkle over the pear mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 400 degree F. oven for 40 minutes or until the pears are tender.
- Cover loosely with aluminum foil after 30 minutes if the top becomes too brown.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
- SPICY CRUMB TOPPING:
- Combine the flour, sugar, spices and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in the margarine, using a pastry blender, until the mixture is crumbly.