1/1 Photo of Freckle Bread (Red Hots)
2 hrs 25 mins
This is a great bread recipe that I got from King Arthur Flour email. A sweet twist on cinnamon bread using Red Hots candies :) From their site: Delightfully spicy bread using Cinnamon Red Hot candies in place of the traditional cinnamon swirl. The pink and red pools of melted cinnamon candy remind us of freckles after a day in the sun. This bread makes excellent toast, amazing French toast and can also be made into cheerful and unique cinnamon buns. Cooking time includes rising time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all dough ingredients except cinnamon candies and mix and knead together -by hand, mixer or bread machine- until you have a soft, piable dough.
- 2Allow the dough to rise, covered, for 45 minutes to one hour or until full and round. To test, poke dough with index finger approximately 1/2 inch deep. If the impression remains, the dough has sufficiently risen.
- 3Gently deflate the dough, and pat into a 8" x 10" rectangle. Knead in the cinnamon candies in 3 stages, using about 1/3 of the candies each time.
- 4Shape the dough into a loaf and place in a greased or parchment lined 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan. Tent the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 40-50 minutes. Dough should just crest the top of the pan.
- 5If making buns, divide the dough evenly into 9 pieces and shape into smooth, round balls. Place buns in greased 9x9" square pan. Tent the pan loosely with lightly greased plastic wrap. Allow to rise for 30-40 minutes. Buns will be full, puffy and barely touching one another.
- 6Bake bread (or buns) in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes (20-25 minutes for buns). If bread browns too quickly on top, tent loosely with aluminium foil. Place pan over parchment or foil lined cookie sheet to catch any drips of hot candy. Bread is done when internal temperature reads 190 degrees on an instant thermometer.
- 7Remove bread from pan and allow to cool on wire rack. Place rack over a piece of parchment to catch any drips of hot candy. Candy will set as bread cools.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Freckle Bread (Red Hots)
Serving Size: 1 (734 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2155.6
- Calories from Fat 536
- Total Fat 59.5 g
- Saturated Fat 34.1 g
- Cholesterol 350.5 mg
- Sodium 3377.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 346.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.0 g
- Sugars 51.9 g
- Protein 52.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: