Prep 20 mins
Cook 19 mins
I got this fabulous recipe from the FBD cookbook - I did substitute canola oil for safflower oil and buttermilk for fat-free milk. My recipe made 15 cupcakes - theirs said 12.
- 1 2⁄3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with paper liners.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine the oil, eggs, milk, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract and vanila extract in a separate bowl - mix well.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry, stirring until smooth.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups and bake in a preheated oven for 17-19 minutes, or until lightly golden and springy when gently touched.
- Place pan on a rack and let cook for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to a wire rack and cool completely.
- Combine confectioners' sugar, orange juice and orange zest in a small bowl and stir until smooth.
- Spread some of the glaze over each cupcake with a small spatula and let stand for at least 10 minutes before serving.
I have the same book, but we substituted the flour with Wheat flour and the were Awesome!
These have a wonderful flavour. The texture is very different. I noticed when I added the lemon juice..the chemical reaction of the baking soda and lemon juice made it foam up before I had a chance to put them in the pan. The edges came out nice and crispy! The only change I made was in the icing. I found that as written...it was too sweet for me...so I added lime juice to balance the sugar. I will definately make these again. Thank you for posting.