1/1 Photo of Finnish Jaakko’s Dream Torte (Jaakon Unelmakaaretorttu) Cake Rol
Jaakko Kolmonen is a chef on Finnish television. His rolled cake is delicate and simple to make. Use whatever fresh fruit or berries in season. Finns often use a finely textured, fresh milk cheese called rahka in combination with whipped cream in cake fillings to stabilize the cream. Ricotta makes an acceptable substitute.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 eggs (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- powdered sugar (sometimes called icing sugar or confectioners')
- 1Line a 15 x 10-inch jelly roll pan with parchment or waxed paper and butter bottom and sides of the pan. Dust with flour. Preheat oven to 375°F.
- 2In a large bowl of an electric mixer, beat the eggs until foamy. Add the sugar GRADUALLY and continue beating until light and lemon colored, about 5 minutes at high speed.
- 3SIFT the flour and baking powder together over the mixture and carefully fold in using a rubber spatula.
- 4Turn mixture into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges and corners. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes until the top springs back when touched.
- 5While cake is baking tear off a doubled length of paper toweling, folding it to about 18 inches in length. Generously dust the toweling with powdered sugar.
- 6When cake is baked, loosen the edges and invert immediately onto the sugar dusted towel. Peel off the parchment or waxed paper and roll up the cake, starting at a narrow end, rolling the towel into the cake. Allow to cool completely.
- 7To prepare the filling, combine the ricotta and whipping cream in a bowl and beat at high speed until rather stiffly whipped. Blend in the powdered sugar and vanilla.
- 8Carefully unroll the cake. Spread with the creamy mixture and berries. Roll up again. Place on serving plate and chill, covered, until ready to serve. 6 to 8 servings.
- 9The Great Scandinavian Baking Book B. Ojakangas.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Finnish Jaakko’s Dream Torte (Jaakon Unelmakaaretorttu) Cake Rol
Serving Size: 1 (186 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 431.1
- Calories from Fat 213
- Total Fat 23.7 g
- Saturated Fat 13.6 g
- Cholesterol 216.2 mg
- Sodium 158.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 26.5 g
- Protein 11.8 g