Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a family favorite. A real comfort food for the days when you or family members have the blues.
- FILLING: 1/2 cup brown sugar 1/4 cup white sugar 2 tablespoons flour 2-3 tablespoons butter 1/2 cup finely chopped nuts 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon Work all ingredients of"Filling" together until crumbly.
- Cream together butter,sugar, and eggs.
- Sift dry ingredients together; add alternately with buttermilk, to first mixture.
- Add vanilla.
- Pour half the batter into a greased 9" by 9" pan.
- Top with nut mixture; repeat with other half of batter.
- Bake 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes .
This one is a keeper. I took it to work as a treat and they all wanted the recipe. I am making it for my daughters lunch for the next week. It is also good for breakfast. I one and a halfed the batter portion and cooked it in a bundt pan. You need to increase the time to about 1 hour. But watch it closely after 45 min.
I'm not going to leave any stars because I think I may have messed up when I tried this recipe. I did not have baking soda so I doubled up on baking powder - I'm not sure if that is a big mistake or not. And then I used the powdered buttermilk mixed with water instead of real buttermilk. The end result was probably a 4 star recipe. The filling tasted wonderful and I loved it. But the actual cake part had a slightly strange flavor - almost kind of tangy but not really. But other than that the cake was picture perfect and my husband liked it. I will try this again with all of the correct ingredients and see what happens.
It's 1:00 a.m. here in Australia and I can't sleep so naturally I'm on Zaar. I've just made this and its in the oven, it smells wonderful, thank you for a lovely recipe.