Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I love anything with coconut,so to say that I love this cake is not an exaggeration - it is very delicious!!
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) box white cake mix
- 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (8 ounce) container whipped topping
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Prepare cake according to package directions and bake in 9x13x2 inch baking pan.
- Cool 20 minutes and remove from pan and onto a large platter or jelly roll pan.
- With toothpick, make holes in cake at 1-inch intervals.
- Heat evaporated milk, sugar and flavoring and pour over cake.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator overnight so that cake weill completely absorb milk sugar mixture.
- The next day spread whipped topping over top and sides of cake.
- Sprinkle on coconut.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- May be served as is or topped with fresh strawberries or peaches.
This turned out really nice even though I used a yellow butter mix! I'm a coconut fiend too so to bump up the coconut I skipped the evaporated milk and used a can of Coco Lopez sweetened coconut milk that you find with the stuff for mixed drinks like Pina Coladas. Do not use the UN-sweetened coconut milk found in the Ethnic/Indian food--not going to do the same thing:) Made fresh sweetened whipped cream cut with the Cool Whip since I didn't have enough CW and had some cream to use up. Simple awesome recipe!
WOW!!! This cake is the best. I have a coconut cake recipe that I used for years, but this one takes the cake!!! Absolutely wonderful. I made it for father's day, and everyone loved it.