Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is such an easy cake to make. My two little ones absolutely loved it. It is even better w/ a strawberry glaze as a filling. Enjoy!
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package French vanilla cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour or 3 tablespoons cake flour
- 1⁄2 cup crushed fresh strawberries or 1⁄2 cup frozen strawberries
- 1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package French vanilla instant pudding
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Preheat oven 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease and flour 2-9 inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the gelatin in cold water. Stir in the cake mix, eggs, vegetable oil, flour, and strawberries. Beat till well mixed. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes in preheated oven, or do toothpick test. Cool cakes in the pans for 10 minutes before inverting.
- To Make Frosting: Combine milk and pudding mix. Add lemon extract. Fold in frozen whipped topping. Frost cooled cakes. Top with fresh strawberries.
Today was "cooking day" with my 9yo niece and she had requested "strawberry pie with filling and really tall". I had never made a layer cake before, although consider myself a decent and experienced homecook. This was the perfect opportunity to give it a try and should it turn out poorly I had an excuse! It turned out beautifully and was easy enough that I just verified measurements of ingredients and helped with the frosting. It was determined by all kids in the house to be soooo good I have to lick my plate. I followed the recipe exactly. We added red food coloring to the frosting otherwise it would have been yellowish from the pudding we used. Great recipe and super easy.
What a fabulous recipe. I am reviewing this recipe for the "My 3 Chefs 08' Event" as I chose this chef as one of my 3. Anyway, this cake was very easy to make. It looks fantastic and is a real treat during the summer months of strawberry season. I am adding a picture, but the chef's picture of the cupcakes with this recipe is absolutely wonderful, so please look at all the photos.