I found this simple recipe on the back of a chocolate chip package, and they are fantastic! I mixed butterscotch, bourdeaux syrup and caramel sauce for mine, however, one of the three would work as well. **NOTE: Be sure the caramel or butterscotch you use is the thickest one you can find. If you use a thin one, it will cause problems when setting.
- 1 (18 1/2 ounce) package devil's food cake mix
- 2⁄3 cup evaporated milk, divided
- 12 tablespoons butter or 12 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 12 ounces thick caramel ice cream topping or 12 ounces thick butterscotch sundae sauce or 12 ounces bordeaux syrup
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Heat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9x13" pan.
- Beat cake mix, 1/3 cup evaporated milk and melted butter rapidly for 1 minute.
- Press half of the mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until set.
- In medium bowl, mix caramel (butterscotch or bordeaux syrup), flour, and remaining evaporated milk.
- Pour evenly over brownies.
- Sprinkle 1 cup chocolate chips over them, then sprinkle remaining clumps of cake mix on top, and finish with remaining chocolate chips.
- Bake again for 30 minutes.
- Will look a little undercooked, but will set as it cools.
- Cool on a wire rack, and cut into squares.