Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr
This Cake is Delicious and Beautiful whether you tint the coconut green to make an egg studded lawn or leave it white with like the Easter Bunny's tail.Bake time depends on pan used.
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups shredded carrots (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 lb cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- green food coloring (optional)
- easter eggs malted milk decorative candies or M&M's peanut chocolate candies or jelly beans, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans or doughmakers 9-inch cake pan.
- With a electric mixer, beat the sugar, oil and eggs until smooth.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice, add to egg mixture and beat until smooth.
- Stir carrots and walnuts and pour into prepared pan (s).
- Bake the 9 inch cake for 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes or the two 8 inch layers for 35 to 40 minutes, or until tester comes out clean.
- Run a knife around edges and invert cake onto a rack, let cool completely.
- Make Frosting; With electric mixer cream butter, add the cream cheese and vanilla and beat until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and beat until smooth and fluffy.
- if using one layer, split it horizontally with a long serrated knife.
- Spread the bottom layer with 1/3 of the frosting, top with the other layer and frost top and sides with the remaining frosting.
- In a bowl, stir the coconut with a few drops of food coloring until all coconut is evenly tinted green.
- Cover with coconut and scatter the candies on top to resemble hidden Easter eggs.
A perfect ending to Easter Dinner. We all loved this cake and will be making it again without the green coconut and Easter decorations at other times throughout the year.
WOW! Is this ever good!!! Followed directions but omitted coconut and decorations. I did add appx 3/4 cup raisens. The frosting is yummy but makes quite a bit. Next time I think I'll use a 9x13 pan and cut frosting in half. I served this for Easter dessert this year and the men all requested I make it again! Very moist cake. Thanks for sharing!