1/4 Photos of Easter Bread
4 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
We enjoy this very rich bread for Easter breakfast which I make in 1-pound coffee cans, but it can also be made in loaf pans. Prep time includes 3 rises. Recipe adapted from The Finnish Cookbook
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast (or two envelopes)
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 3 cups milk, scalded and cooled to lukewarm
- 7 -8 cups flour
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 16 cardamom pods, crushed (about 2 teaspoons)
- 1 orange, rind of, grated
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds (optional)
- 1 cup butter, melted
For optional icing
- 1Disolve yeast in warm water.
- 2Add 2 cups of the milk to the yeast/water.
- 3Sift in 2 cups of the flour.
- 4Beat until smooth and elastic with a wooden spoon or beaters.
- 5Cover and let rise for one hour.
- 6Beat egg yolks and sugar together until light.
- 7Add egg/sugar to dough, stirring well with wooden spoon.
- 8Add the salt, cardamom, orange and lemon peel, raisins and almonds (if using), stir well.
- 9Add the remaining milk (1 cup) and butter.
- 10Stir in the remaining flour until a stiff dough forms.
- 11Turn onto a floured bread board and knead until smooth and elastic (8-10 minutes).
- 12Place dough in greased bowl (I use a dutch oven), turn and cover with plastic wrap.
- 13Let rise for 1 hour or until doubled.
- 14Grease 3 (1 pound) coffee cans and dust with sugar.
- 15Fill cans half full and let rise until dough is even with top of can (30 minutes).
- 16Bake in a preheated 350°Foven for 1 hour or until bread is golden and tests done.
- 17If desired, loaves can be iced with optional frosting.
- 18To make optional frosting, combine frosting ingredients (confectioners' sugar, water and almond extract).
- 19Drizzle over cooled loaves.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easter Bread
Serving Size: 1 (2616 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2485.5
- Calories from Fat 711
- Total Fat 79.0 g
- Saturated Fat 46.8 g
- Cholesterol 418.1 mg
- Sodium 1459.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 402.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 160.0 g
- Protein 44.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, rind of
lemons, rind of