Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Lemon and tea are a classic pairing. Try the duet in this wonderful Earl Grey Cake with Lemon Curd. These are meant to be baked in mini bundt pans.
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 6 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 3 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons finely ground earl grey tea, leaves*
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups lemon curd (about one and a half 10-oz. jars)
- Let the butter, eggs, and sour cream stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 12 individual fluted tube pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine flour, ground tea leaves, baking powder, salt, and soda; set aside.
- In a very large mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium-high speed for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add granulated sugar; continue beating 5 minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping sides of bowl after each addition.
- Beat in vanilla (Mixture may appear curdled).
- Alternately add flour mixture and sour cream to butter mixture, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.
- Spoon batter into prepared pans, filling two-thirds full.
- Bake 25 minutes or until pick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool in pans on racks 10 minutes.
- Remove; cool on racks.
- TO FINISH:.
- Split cakes in half. Place tops on plates upside down; spread with curd.
- Add bottoms to creat a proper looking bundt cake.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar.
- For 4 teaspoons ground Earl Grey tea leaves, open bags with finely ground tea leaves (5 bags) or use mortar and pestle to finely grind loose Earl Grey tea leaves; measure 4 teaspoons.).
This was ok. I think I was expecting it to be more moist and to have a stronger tea flavor. Mine turned out bland. I did use Lemon Curd (Stove Top or Microwave Method) Lime or Orange Curd for the curd in microwave and that was awesome.
This is a wonderful recipe, though I highly recommend using Bigelow brand Earl Grey tea. It gives a flavor like none other =)
Nice thick, sweet-smelling batter! Had enough to make 6 mini bundts for family and 2 mini loaves for gift-giving. Used Splash Earl Grey Black Tea but used a store-bought lemon curd. I'll make my own with the next batch. This makes a lovely addition to any tea tray. Thanks, Annacia, I'm so glad I tried this out. Oh yeah, even without the lemon curn this is delicious!